Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Girls go to the Left; Boys go to the Right

(door on the left is the Day care room and door on the right is the Kindergarten classroom)

My daughter is in Kindergarten and attends a private school. Usually I'm waiting in front of her classroom before her class is dismissed. And this time, thanks to the Anthropology class I'm taking, I noticed that the girls backpacks were separated from the boys. I tried to think of a reason, like, maybe there are not enough hooks for the girls to hang their backpacks in front of their classroom like the boys, but that was not it. So I left it at that. The next morning I take my daughter to school and hang her backpack in front of her classroom, but she said, "No Mom, the girls backpacks go on this side. Away from the boys!" "Why," I asked her. "Because teacher says so," was her reply.

-Wanda Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment