Friday, October 30, 2009

What Our Research Project is About

For some parents, the underlying issues that affect child rearing are the gender inequalities due to socialization and diverse disciplinary methods used in the United States in relation to gender. In our group we discussed how children are raised differently depending on their gender. Though parents may do it unwillingly, in the long run it will result in different effects based on the way their gender determined how they would be brought up.
One of the main examples that we agreed with was how in Hispanic families girls are brought up as the homemakers and are taught this at a very young age (we know this because 3 out of 4 of us are Hispanic). Girls are raised to help mom with the cooking and be by her side every step along the way, whether it be tending to the father or cleaning.
In regards to the diverse disciplinary methods in the United States, our group is interested in finding a pattern that tells us which parent uses which disciplinary methods on their children, the mother or the father? Most importantly we would also like to find if parents are harsher with their disciplinary methods on boys or on girls.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...very interesting. This reminds me of one of my own personal experiences. Two years ago, my husband and I moved into my in-laws home and stayed with them for about a year due to financial reasons. My in-laws are both traditional Mexicans. They were born and raised in Mexico and moved to the U.S while they were in their early twenties. My father-in-law works 6 days a week and is therefore the breadwinner, while my mother-in-law stays at home and takes on the traditional role of a housewife. Although I saw my in-laws fulfilling these roles everyday, I never thought that it was because they were taking on the roles expected of them, but rather because they had chosen to take on these roles themselves. However, this naive way of thinking would soon change for me. After coming home from work one day my husband saw that I was tired and offered to make me dinner that night. He later told me that while he was making me dinner, his dad had said to him that he shouldn't be cooking for me because that was a women's job. After hearing that, my initial reaction was anger and sadness as I was hurt by his comment. I myself, am a female Hispanic, but I was raised with parents who taught me that cooking is both a woman's and a man's job. However, after giving it some thought, I later realized that my father-in-law wasn't saying it to be mean, but rather because that's what he was raised to believe. It was at that moment that I realized that due to society's expectations, both males and females take on roles that have been culturally and socially constructed for them.(Vanessa Diaz-Group 1)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your topic. As we stand in America there are so many different cultures that have been brought here and taught through our parents. Some may be traditionally and originated within the culture of our ancestors and some may be mixed cultures because of marriages between different races. I come from a white family from a population of 700 people and we were taught to respect everyone old and young and they do the same for you, my best friend is from orange county and Mexican and was raised to respect his elders although it was not balanced for them to respect his point of view. So i think this is a great topic to bring up gender roles through race. Good JOB!
    (angelina lance-group14)

    ReplyDelete